baslinux - Re: [BL] What controles the boot?

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] What controles the boot?
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 14:45:06 +1300

Joel Adria wrote:

> Lilo is on the first sector, and it starts the kernel.
> Then what happens?

Kernel executes /sbin/init (which actions /etc/inittab).

> What runs "rc"

/etc/rc is one of the things actioned in /etc/inittab

> "issue" and that stuff?

/etc/issue is run by /etc/profile (which is the shell
startup file).

> More importantly, how do I change the "Press enter to start
> this console" thing to a login prompt?

Ah, you must be running BL3 (for some reason I thought
you were on BL2). BL3 uses a mini-init (without login).
BL2 uses a standard init (with login).

You probably can put a standard init, getty and login
on BL3 (from Slackware), but that will dramatically
change the startup structure. Even a tiny mistake
will make it unbootable (and a nightmare to debug).

If you really want to have a proper login, you might
consider installing BL2. That will give you a standard
foundation, rather than the minimalistic foundation in
BL3 (designed for old PCs with limited resources).

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru