baslinux - [BL] new BL3 add-on

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [BL] new BL3 add-on
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 06:28:04 +1200

I've just uploaded a new version of the BL3 kernel
optimized for early Pentiums (pre-MMX). If you are
running BL3 on an early Pentium, this version of the
kernel should give you a small boost in performance.
Simply replace the old zimage in C:/baslin with the
new zimage. Or, if you are booting BL3 with lilo,
replace the old zimage in /boot and re-run lilo.

This new kernel (zimage.p1) should only be used with
early Pentiums. If you have a 486dx, you should use
zimage.4dx. With other CPUs stick with the default
kernel.

I don't have an early Pentium myself, so I haven't
been able to test zimage.p1. There's no guarantee
it actually works. I would be grateful if one of
you guys with an early Pentium would try it and
report back here.

BTW, I've recently been getting very fast response
times and downloads from the basiclinux.com.ru site.
It might just be a time-of-day thing, but for me it
is significantly faster than ibiblio.org.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru/add-ons/