baslinux - [BL] new BL3 add-on

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [BL] new BL3 add-on
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 08:41:08 +1200

I have just uploaded xdigger.tgz. It's an old-fashioned
digger game, like the ones on the Commodore 64 and early
PC. You move a little man with the arrow-keys, digging
through barriers, shifting boulders and gathering jewels.
It has pleasant (but not spectacular) graphics and makes
sounds through the PC speaker.

Although xdigger appears to be like "Dig Dug" and other
low-brow digger games, it really offers much more. The
author has turned a frantic run-around-avoiding-monsters
game into a thoughtful puzzle-game. Every level has some
problem to overcome: something is blocked or missing or
seemingly impossible. It's up to you to figure out a way
around the problem. The author is very clever: some of
the problems are quite ingenious. But the author is also
very fair: on the early levels he forces you to discover
new techniques by putting you in straightfoward situations
where you have to use them. For example, you start the
second level trapped behind a boulder. The only way out
is to push the boulder (a previously unused technique).

I found xdigger very addictive. After compiling the game,
I ran it to see if it worked. Four hours later I was still
playing.