baslinux - Re: [BL] new add-on for BL3

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] new add-on for BL3
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 15:49:18 +0000

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 05:45:12PM +1200, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:
> For some time, I have been trying to find a suitable
> graphical browser for BL3. I spent a lot of time
> trying to get Netscape 3.04 to work, but it just
> wouldn't run on Xvesa. I then investigated replacing
> Xvesa with an ancient X server (not much larger than
> Xvesa), but it was missing a capability that Netscape
> needed. So I tried compiling dillo, but it failed
> (probably because of something missing in the GTK I
> installed from Slackware 4.0).
>
> However (finally!) I have found a graphical browser
> that works, and I have just uploaded it to the BL3
> add-ons.
>
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/baslinux/add-ons/links2.tgz
>
> The package is less than 2mb in size and it runs happily
> on the default BL3 (no other packages are needed). Just
> pkg links2.tgz and it will automatically appear in your
> swm menu (in the Internet submenu).
>
> I would be grateful if some of you would try it and tell
> me whether it is OK.

I will be delighted to try it out but can only do so offline this week
(and would have to download it via my bbs at 14.4K) since our ISP is the
local community college and they just started online course registration
(can't phone in at normal hours, lines are clogged).

This is much appreciated. Will probably put it on the laptop computer
with BL3 once we find a replacement floppy drive for it. (First we need
to replace a BL2 hard drive which has really truly failed - pqmagic got
79% through and crashed again, fdisk checked disk integrity and failed at
21% - would a low-level format help here? CMOS identifies it okay.)

Did you compile this yourself? I have already used in BL2 both JP's
statically compiled version, and the delilinux slightly later package
(dynamically compiled) which I think both need the later SW71 glibc.
The delilinux package is also around 2MB. It does SSL and some javascript
and has worked where lynx failed to work. I think it is links 2.2.14.
Which version is yours?