baslinux - [BL] new add-on for BL3

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [BL] new add-on for BL3
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 17:45:12 +1200

For some time, I have been trying to find a suitable
graphical browser for BL3. I spent a lot of time
trying to get Netscape 3.04 to work, but it just
wouldn't run on Xvesa. I then investigated replacing
Xvesa with an ancient X server (not much larger than
Xvesa), but it was missing a capability that Netscape
needed. So I tried compiling dillo, but it failed
(probably because of something missing in the GTK I
installed from Slackware 4.0).

However (finally!) I have found a graphical browser
that works, and I have just uploaded it to the BL3
add-ons.

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/baslinux/add-ons/links2.tgz

The package is less than 2mb in size and it runs happily
on the default BL3 (no other packages are needed). Just
pkg links2.tgz and it will automatically appear in your
swm menu (in the Internet submenu).

I would be grateful if some of you would try it and tell
me whether it is OK.