baslinux - Re: [BL] ftp connection over a home network

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ftp connection over a home network
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 18:14:52 -0500 (CDT)

There are alot of possibilities. I had a little trouble following your
post and what is on what machine. I'll list the possibilities I can think
of: 1) ftp, as you've mentioned here; 2) nfs (network file system), not
mentioned by you; 3) mcserv - some sort of file transfer protocol built
into (full versioons of) mc, also not mentioned by you. Which you choose
will depend on the sum of 3 factors: 1) ease/difficulty of setup anmd use;
2) what already runs on your systems; 3) what you actually want the
computers to communicate for. I'm guessing from your remarks that you
want to transfer files: is that your primary need here? As to ftp, you
may know that there are 2 parts to an ftp transfer: 1) a computer that
runs an ftp server and allows other clients to access files located on it
using file transfer protocol; 2) a program that runs on machines that
access the ftp server that speaks file transfer protocol - an ftp client.
If you already have an ftp server, it's most likely on your SuSE machine.
Have you started it, or checked to see if it's already running? BL2
almost certainly has an ftp client (but no server). If you can start the
server on your SuSE machine, you should be able to log into it from the
BL2 machine and transfer files. Until you tell us more about the setup
and what you've tried and what the results were, I can't say much beyond
this. I think BL2 also does nfs "out of the box" and there's a good
chance SuSE does as well, or can be made to. When you use nfs, you mount
a directory or drive on a computer hooked to your network (that's also
running nfs) on the local machine. You can then access its files as
though it were a local directory (using, say, mc). I've done ftp and nfs,
so know a bit more about those than mcserv. But man mcserv, man nfs and
man ftp will get you further information.

James

PS I regularly transfer files on my local network using mc's built in ftp
capability. I can describe doing that later: it won't do you any good if
an ftp server is not running on your network.