baslinux - Re: [BL] scsi troubles

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] scsi troubles
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 11:47:02 +0000

Richard Shaw wrote:

> I've download the DOS version of BasicLinux 3.21
> My 486 has a Future Domain TMC-8XX/TMC-950 SCSI drive
> controller, and a seagate drive

Oh-oh, here comes trouble.

> so I need to use the seagate kernel with loadlin.

You were very clever to work that out. The BL3 kernel
is an IDE kernel so it don't know nothing about SCSI.
However, that's only half your problem solved (and that
was the easier half).

> And then /baslin/fs.img not found on mount /dev/hda1

BL3 looks for its root filesystem (fs.img) in the
\baslin directory. It expects to find \baslin in
C: (the first primary partition) but it also looks
in some other primary partitions. Unfortunately it
only looks in IDE partitions (not SCSI, because the
usual kernel is SCSI-unaware).

There is no simple way for you to fix that from your
end. I would have to rewrite the seek routine to
include SCSI drives.

I suggest you try BL2 (which does not use that seek
routine). If you replace the default BL2 kernel with
your SCSI one, the (hopefully) should boot just fine.

Alternatively, if your system has 12mb RAM, it should
be able to boot the floppy version of BL3 (which also
does not use the seek routine).

Good luck.