baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 in 3M with links and viewer

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 in 3M with links and viewer
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 11:06:06 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > I have a Slackware 3.2 CD. I forgot how to mount it in BL2.
> > First I did
> > insmod cdrom
> > insmod ide-cd
>
> Those insmods are unnecessary in BL2 (which has CDrom
> capability already built into the kernel). It is BL3
> which needs CDrom insmods.
I meant to type BL3 (SW3.2 CD goes with that).

> > Then
> > mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/hdc /cd
>
> This works for me: mount /dev/hdc /cd
Can't find a valid MSDOS filessystem if I omit the -t iso9660 -r part.

> > (I first did mkdir /cd)
> > It complains about a device not existing. Where did I goof?
>
> Are you sure your CDrom drive registers on /dev/hdc ?
> ----------------
> dmesg | grep hdc
> ----------------
dmesg|less told me hdc..... ATAPI CD-ROM drive
(just after the lines about hda and hdb).

My error message is
Mounting /dev/hdc/ on /cd failed: No such device.

I have a CD in the drive. I can read it in DOS (as g:). It is even a
linux CD. A newish drive (32X) definitely ATAPI. I don't recall if it
worked in BL2 and I can't check that while in BL3, can I?

> > How would one make a linux package in BL3, where there is
> > no makepkg? Can it be done just using tar, if the package
> > just consists of three files and no script to make symlinks?
>
> Yes. Do your tar from the top directory and use the full path
> name to each file you want to put in the package.
>
> > I tried tar -cxvf *
>
> The -x is wrong. It means extract.

Thanks. I also did tar --help to learn that you need to first specify the
name of the output file, then the various input files. I was able to use
* instead of typing out everything in each subdirectory. I renamed the
libraries instead of trying to make a script to do symlinks, or however I
should in theory have done this.

tar -czvf /seejpegbl3.tgz usr/bin/seejpeg /usr/lib/*

This produced a 191K file which I will post at www.iamjlamb.com/~keesan
for a anyone else interested in using BL3 with links and a viewer in 4MB
RAM (no X).