baslinux - Re: [BL] 56K hardware modem init strings

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] 56K hardware modem init strings
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 17:58:30 -0400 (EDT)

I forgot what modem I have but I know I upgraded it from X2 to V90. The
atin commands don't tell me the manufacturer but I tried USR Sportster.
Added to the end of eznet.conf
0 init1 AT&FS32=34.

Before I was getting downloads (from a commercial site) at 5.1K/sec, and
now it is up to 7.K same site.

ati commands revealed that there is no S58 register, which explains why
AT&FS58=1 only gets me as far as Registered device ppp0.

+MS commands - does not get anywhere.
I know I do not have a Lucent.

Are there only these three makers of V90 hardware modems?

There is also *Nn for setting connect speed (I tried &N20 to get the 5.1K
download) and &Ux for lowest connect speed (did not work for me on this
modem). AT&F is the factory setting for other init commands, I think.
I hav some old manuals for 28.8 or 33.6K Sportster and Courier modems.

I will try this same string with Netdial in DOS. I had to increase a
couple of numbers when using this modem because it was timing out,
probably trying X2 before V90. I think it is connecting in less time now
but I did not time it. It works.

Where in Win98 would one add this S32=34? The default for S32 was 002.

To use ati commands with Kermit type set carrier-watch off first. (I
forget if I typed c to connect before or after typing ati commands).