baslinux - Re: [BL] Baslinux generations

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Baslinux generations
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 19:14:51 +1200

Erkki Ruohtula wrote:

> And here I was thinking all Baslinuxes are just modified old
> Slackwares.

Not just. Some Slackware components were used, but a lot of
other stuff was also included.

BL1 was designed to be compatible with Slackware 3.5 so that
packages from that Slackware could be installed (using pkg).

BL2 was designed to be compatible with Slackware 7.1 so that
packages from that Slackware could be installed (using installpkg).

> How was BL3 put together?

BL3 was designed to be small/fast. Compatibility with a
particular Slackware was not a design parameter (although
at the moment BL3 can use many packages from Slackware 3/4).

> Did you compile it from source or what?

Several components were compiled from source. Some components
were taken from Slackware 3/4.