baslinux - Re: [BL] Problem with wireless card

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Problem with wireless card
  • Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 14:55:28 +1200

Fred Rogers wrote:

> I am trying to get an wireless proxim/symphony pcmcia
> card going with BL3 and I am having a problem.

In order to keep the BL3 kernel as small/fast as possible,
some functionality was omitted. Wireless capability was
one of the omissions. If you need that capability, you
can replace the BL3 zimage with the bare.i bzimage from
Slackware 7.1. You will find it in the /kernels directory.
You will also need to edit BOOT.BAT to change zimage to
bzimage (or if your are using LILO to boot, you will need
to edit /etc/lilo.conf).

> I added the following lines to /etc/rc:

To activate PCMCIA cards, remove the # from /etc/pcmcia/start
in /etc/rc.

> insmod /usr/local/bin/rlmod.o CardType=3

Card-specific insmods will be done automatically by cardmgr.
However, cardmgr requires instructions for that type of card
in /etc/pcmcia/config. It currently has instructions for only
three types of cards: pcnet network cards, serial cards, and
a NetMobile serial card that needs special coding because it
doesn't register as a serial card.

You can put additional instructions /etc/pcmcia/config. Most
Linux distributions include many more instructions than BL3.
You may be able to copy the needed instructions from one of
them.

BL3 uses an older/smaller version of cardmgr. It works fine
for old PCMCIA cards, but it is unable to handle cardbus cards.
Since 386/486 laptops (the target systems for BL3) can't do
cardbus anyway, this isn't an issue for those systems. People
running BL3 on more up-to-date hardware will need to replace
/usr/sbin/cardmgr if they want to use cardbus cards. I think
the cardmgr in Slackware 4.0 can handle cardbus.

> Added a /etc/modules.conf that contains:
> alias eth0 rlmod

BL3 doesn't use /etc/modules.conf.