baslinux - [BL] Setting up a DHCP-Server

  • From: Jens Burmeister <jb AT numerik.uni-kiel.de>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Setting up a DHCP-Server
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 18:08:22 +0200

Dear BL-readers,

I'm running BL3_21 on a 'dinosaurus'-test cluster consisting of 2 oldtimers:

- a 486DX with 48 MB RAM, suitable hard disk, ISA-network adapter and
- a 486DX with 32 MB RAM, suitable hard disk, ISA-network adapter.

My intension is to add step by step more functionality to my mini-system
just in the sense of 'minimalistic configurations'.

So I defined my own testproblems.

1.) First of all I decided to add ping-functionality.
The solution was relatively straightforward 'cause
the necessary modules are part of BL3_21.

insmod 8390
insmod ne io=0x???

makes the hardware working and

ifconfig eth0 ip-address

sets up the software. ping comes already with BL3_21; so
testproblem ping-functionality was solved.

2.) Next idea was to add dhcp-functionality what means in particular to
set up a DHCP-server and use DHCP-clients.
The client dhcp comes with BL3_21 but the server daemon dhcpd not. So I had
to install a suitable package. I found one in Slackware 7.1 called
tcpip2.tgz.
Installing the package causes no problems. But starting the dhcpd-binary
failed with the error message:

-sh: dhcpd: not found.

By the way I observed that ifconfig failed with the same error message.
A new ifconfig came with tcpip2.tgz. Analysing the binaries with file
gave me a hint: the 'old' ifconfig is a setuid ELF 32-bit binary
the 'new' one only a ELF 32-bit binary. So I guess I ran into
shared-library-problems ?

Do you have any comments on that ?

With best wishes from northern germany
Jens Burmeister