baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: Problem with the kernel 2.2.16

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: Problem with the kernel 2.2.16
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 09:34:58 +1200

russ loroville wrote:

> > 1) insmod ide-scsi # the module's from SW 7.1
> > Now /dev/sda 'virtual' SCSI device appeared.
> *******
>
> YOUR BZIMAGE KERNEL PICKED UP THE OPTICAL DEVICE AS "sda" ON
> BOOTUP(DMESG)?

Probably not. As I understand it, the kernel picks it up as an
IDE device (I believe it is the slave on the second IDE cable).
Only by running the ide-scsi module, he gets the sda (virtual).

The BL3 kernel (zimage) has no SCSI capability so it is unable
to install the ide-scsi module. On the other hand, the bare.i
bzimage in Slackware 7.1 does have that capability. See the
following extracts from the kernel configs:

BL3 kernel config Slack71 bare.i config
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI is not set CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI=m
CONFIG_SCSI is not set CONFIG_SCSI=y