baslinux - Re: [BL] new BL3

  • From: Robert Steinmetz <rob AT steinmetznet.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] new BL3
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 23:52:57 -0500

3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

I think they are called Type 2 or pccard.

Type 2 cards are thin PCMCIA cards. They may be either pccard of cardbus. Pccards are generally 16bit 5v cards. Type 2 cards are the most common size. I've never seen a type 1 card.

It does not do the more modern cards (called Type 3 or cardbus, I think).

Type 3 cards are thicker than Type 2 ( Mostly hard drives I think) and not very common. They may be either pccard of cardbus.
Cardbus are 32 bit cards, mostly 3.3 volts.

Essentially there are 3 qualities of the cards, thickness ( Type 1, 2, or 3), bus width 16 or 32 bits (Pccard or Cardbus), and voltage 3.3v or 5v. Some cards can operate at more than one voltage most 3.3v cards will not fit in older PCs. It's getting harder and harder to find new cards at 5v.

I hope that this helps.

--
Robert Steinmetz
Principal