baslinux - Re: [BL] X applications on MSWindows?

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] X applications on MSWindows?
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 22:23:49 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Matrix Mole wrote:

> Ok, I've got my systems setup, but only enough room on my table for one
> monitor to go along with my Windows/Linux machines. My modem is a winmodem
> so I have to surf the net through ICS on my windows machine as opposed to
> pure Linux surfing. My question, is it possible to either run X itself
> virtually on my Windows machine (with all the processes running off the
> linux box), or to do a form of remote view setup where I can just open a
> window on my win machine that linux will see for all intents and purposes
> as being a regular console that can be used for running X itself on (as
> opposed to having to telnet into linux to perform any fuctions). If it
> helps, the windows machine is win98, and BL2.

Maybe vnc? Vnc will get you an x session on your Win machine from the
Linux machine. Easy to set up on windows, maybe more of a challenge on
BL. But should be doable. It's a small program. I've fiddled with it a
bit on win machines and under Knoppix. It can be a bit flaky in the way
it displays things (I recall having to drag the cursor back and forth over
the vnc window to get the screen to repaint). Maybe it just requires some
tweaking? I hear alot of people talk about it as a useful app.

You might want to Google for K12osn and look through their archives, too.
They have lots of discussions concerning running xsessions on remote
hosts of all different kinds.

On ICS: so you got Win98 to share its modem with your BL box?

James