baslinux - Re: [BL] Can't Access Hard Drive or Mount floppy & cdrom

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Can't Access Hard Drive or Mount floppy & cdrom
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 08:39:43 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 rdevine AT vodafone.ie wrote:

> Could someone help me.I am having trouble accessing my hard drive or
> mounting
> my floppy or cdrom drives. I'm using BL v2.1 to boot. My pc has a 300mhz
> Celeron with 128mb RAM a cd-r, cdrom and two hard drives (combined is 9gb).
>
> Whatever I try to access them I get a similar message to this ->
> mount: can't find hda1 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
>
> Is there something that I am doing wrong or missing?

Yes, I think there is something wrong, or you're missing something. By
your description, I'd guess you're using something like the command "mount
/hda1" to try and mount your hard drive. Is that right? The error
message you mention is telling you what the problem is: the file
/etc/fstab has entries that tell the mount command which device file to
mount at which mount point, what the filesystem type is and a couple of
other things. Sounds like you don't have any such entries. But you can
still mount things: you do this by specifying *both* the device file AND
the mount point to the mount command, like so:
----------------------
mount /dev/hda1 /hda1
----------------------
for example. This assumes you've already created the mount point /hda1 on
your BL2 system. The system should be able to "guess" the filesystem
type. To make the command shorter, you can edit /etc/fstab to tell the
system exactly which device file (/dev/hda1 in the example you've cited to
us) at which mount point, the filesystem type and the other stuff that it
needs (you can find lots of examples of /etc/fstab setups on the
internet). BL2 doesn't autodetect drives and set up mounts points or
fstab for you. You have to do it manually, or else just use the longer
method of mounting as described above. CD drives are a bit different, not
requiring any number. It is usualy sufficient to do something like
mount /dev/hdb /cdrom1
to mount a CD drive (this is just a guess at which device file represents
your CD drive, and which mount point you've created for it: modify
accordingly).

James