baslinux - Re: [BL] x with an hercules monitor ?

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] x with an hercules monitor ?
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 17:11:32 +1200

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> The font is some default provided by Xvesa that is very tiny.
> To choose a larger font you can type -fn 9x17 or -fn 11x19,

In BL3, the available fixed fonts are: 11x19, 9x15, 6x13 and
5x7. rxvt now defaults to 9x15. There are also some aliases
that redirect to those fonts. In addition to the fixed fonts
BL3 also has some variable Helvetica fonts (but AFAIK variable
fonts cannot be used for an xterm).

> There is probably not enough space available in BL3 to install
> all the X packages needed for this.

I'm sure it would fit in. The main thing required is Xmono
(which is around twice the size of Xvesa). You'd also need
a real XF86Config to go in /etc. I've never configured one
of those for Xmono, but it shouldn't be too hard (if you use
the xf86config utility from Slackware). The best way to get
a good XF86Config is copy one that works on another system.