baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 - Kermit floating point exception (fwd)

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 - Kermit floating point exception (fwd)
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 14:48:14 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > Was the BL3 kernel compiled not to support
> > floating-point arithmetic?
>
> No.

Kermit support (aka Frank) says that you can compile Kermit not to use
floating point, but I told him I can't compile for BL3. Since the
precompiled version of Kermit 2.09 for SW4.0 required floating point
support and for some reason was not working with BL3, I copied over the
one (2.07) from SW3.5 that I had working with BL1 and it works fine with
BL3. I can dial my bbs, connect, give password, telnet from the bbs to
another computer, read mail with pine, etc.

I tried to print my mail from pine with prYnt (Y) but it printed to screen
probably because I have not loaded the printer (parport) modules.

I got mdacon somewhat working with BL3. I set it to use the TTL/Hercules
on vc1 and vc2 and to leave vc3 as color VGA. It boots nicely into
Hercules mode but if I then change to vc3 I am still in Hercules mode and
after that when I switch back to vc1 the bottom of the screen is at the
top and vice versa. (The top starts in the middle). So I have to
remember to stay in vc1 and vc2 (meaning I can't use X) if I want to use
my TTL monitor with BL3. Or just load mdacon for individual sessions and
activate it somehow - I forget how. I would also need some way to unload
it (rmmod?) if I want to use X in the same session since I discovered that
BL3 has no logout along with no login. Might you want to put in a logout
so that people can close one terminal to save RAM?

Kermit fixes the problem of microcom not working at my bbs, and I suppose
I can use it for file transfer from a computer that I telnet to, and
download my files to that computer instead of directly, since BL3 is not
cooperating with my ISP for downloading linux files (it works at another
ISP) but it is sort of a nuisance. Interesting playing with this all and
I am learning a lot. I will go back to BL2 for most purposes - it would
be really nice to get that same mail program and mailout working with BL2.
I was hoping to use BL3 for quick forays online but the download problem
is a problem. Does Bl3 boot faster than Bl2-hard-disk?

If you want me to do any more experiments with file download let me
know. I have given up on microcom. I can also use kermit for ftp
downloads (or maybe someone can tell me how to login with wget or links to
a non-anonymous ftp site).

When I do a find from / it takes rather a long while and might be
accessing the entire c: partition rather than just c:\baslin. Is there
any easy way to just find in the area used for linux?

THe lynx 2.6 from SW3.5 is also working more expectedly than the one from
SW4.0 (2.8.1) in that it does not seem to leave pieces of text from the
previous screen, but it won't log in to my webmail.