baslinux - Re: [BL] ltools for DOS?

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ltools for DOS?
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 12:05:35 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, James Miller wrote:

> I went looking for ltools yesterday, wanting to investigate a bit further.
> I found the latest version (6.6) at the author's site and downloaded it.
> On unzipping the 2+MB file though, I was horrified to see all manner of
> gif files, html files, java files - and who knows what else not directly
> related to accessing Linux from DOS - being inflated. It seems this
> latest version - and perhaps several generations of its predecessors - are
> geared to running, not on DOS in the BL sense ("real DOS" as Steven called
> it), but under Windows. The one I got specifically talked about using it
> under XP and 2K. This leaves me looking for a real DOS version of ltools.
> Can anyone point me to one? Has anyone here used ltools before? Could I
> maybe just delete a whole lot of this crap that I unzipped, leaving only
> some key DOS executables and get the functionality I want from 6.6?
> Maybe I should write the author and ask him . . .
>
> Input on this appreciated

Sindi spared me the humiliation of exposing my advancing senility
publically by writing me offlist about a stripped-down ltools package she
had sent me not long ago for inclusion at my BL add-ons site - but I won't
be so kind to myself :) . I just went and checked, and indeed, there is
there a *much* smaller zip file called "ltools.zip" with likely only the
needed executables for using ltools under pure DOS. Thank you Sindi for
doing the footwork in creating this much-trimmed version, and for
contacting me about it - both the first time (which I now, of course,
remember), and the second time. For those likewise interested in ltools
for DOS - not Windows - take a look at my add-ons site and download
Sindi's ltools.zip package

James