baslinux - [BL] Lucent winmodems in linux - ltmodem.o

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Lucent winmodems in linux - ltmodem.o
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 14:09:39 -0500 (EST)

We were given two Lucent winmodems (lt1641c - 33K upgradeable to 56K and
lt1646 56K) which are supposedly usable with linux if you have linmodem.o,
available for kernel 2.2 and later for Debian, Redhat, Mandrake and SuSE.
Or you can download the source code (over 600K) and install a lot of
required things on your computer besides what Steven recommended for
compiling, and compile your own ltmodem.o binary. We have the SuSE 6 CD.
And mc-menu to unpack the .rpm package if it is an rpm package.

Has anyone in this list used a lucent modem with BL2?
Does our kernel support linmodem.o? If not, does bare.i?
If so, would I need to modify Steven's ppp setup after doing insmod
ltmodem.o (or maybe insmod -f ltmodem.o)?

The reason for using one of these things is that one of them is PCI and my
fastest working computer has only two ISA slots into which I want to put
my Hercules card (so I can use two monitors) and a Creative Sound Card (I
have only ISA models and no other sound cards are supposed to work with
Linux). Iwould like to get Realaudio 8 working with Opera so as to listen
to Bulgarian broadcasts. E. Europe tends to be a version or two behind on
Realaudio.

I am still working on compiling the latest Lynx. Apparently I steered it
to the wrong place to look for openssl.

Sindi Keesan