baslinux - [BL] e2fsck, finally, now "init not found"

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] e2fsck, finally, now "init not found"
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 11:26:49 -0600 (CST)

I finally succeeded in running e2fsck on that laptop HD that sort of
crashed on me not long ago (a sudden system poweroff from low battery
power while I was trying to shut down the system was the cause of the
crash). I did this by placing the drive in another machine and booting
from the DamnSmallLinux CD, running e2fsck from there. There were tons of
errors, which I told it to just go ahead and fix. The final result was
that the /root dir is (and possibly some others are) missing. Alot of
fragments were saved to /lost+found by e2fsck and I suppose I might find
some of the missing items by rooting around there. When I try to boot the
system, I get a kernel panic and a message to the effect "init not found."
My basic question with regard to this is: is it worth trying to rescue
this instalation, or should I just focus on saving data and reinstalling?
There's nothing that I would say is really critical there: this was more
or less a testing system for BL. I did put alot of work into setting it
up, though, so I don't want to simply throw in the towel on it lightly.
Input appreciated.

Thanks, James