baslinux - Re: [BL] single user desktop

  • From: Day Brown <daybrown AT hypertech.net>
  • To: baslinex <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] single user desktop
  • Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2003 06:02:39 -0000

On Wed, 2003-12-24 at 09:26, Sindi Keesan wrote:
> Day Brown comments that pentiums are so cheap there is no point in putting
> together a linux that will work on a 486 with 8M RAM.
Well, there are people who take pride in running antiques.
> Desktop pentiums are being thrown out, and we have been given a couple
> dozen of those (and found others at the curb) but so far we have been
> given only one pentium laptop, with a dead hard drive.
>
> Quite a few of the people writing in to this list are trying to put linux
> on a laptop.
>
> We tried Corel 2.3 linux on a fast 486 and it was glacially slow, having
> loaded all sorts of programs we do not want whenever it boots. But it did
> identify our video card and monitor so we might leave it on the computer
> to make config files for our monitors automatically.
My experience has been that Corel sux on anything less than 64meg DRAM
and a 333 mmx CPU, decently on a socket 370. I like the Cyrix VIA
700-800 mhz, they only need 8-10 watts, whereas the Intel chips need 25,
on up to even 100 watts. damn hot. but- only some months after wasting
time with Redhat do I find out that RH 8&9 dont run on the VIA, although
they have released a new kernel 2.4 or 2.6 configed for the Athelon.

I have tried downloading the RPM, but it crashed halfway thru the 13.5
meg download. It is spozed to 'resume', but I gotta start over at the
beginning. I thought dos BBS networks were more reliable with zmodem.

That config file you mention; you can port it to another distro install?
I'll havta try that.

It's crap like this that drives people nuts.You dunno if you did
something stupid, or if the distro you have has some aversion to the
particular hardware you have.