baslinux - Re: [BL] WORD 5.5 for DOS

  • From: cce.zizkov AT volny.cz
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] WORD 5.5 for DOS
  • Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2003 00:41:04

On 23 Dec 03 at 14:30, keesan AT iamjlamb.com wrote:

>Reply to Sender: mailto:keesan AT iamjlamb.com
>Reply to List: mailto:baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
>
>I cannot find the email where someone said to put the printer files ending
>in .pr$ in the directory where the setup program was looking for them, but
>even after I did this the printer drivers did not install properly (no .prd
>was created). Nor did it work to give it the correct path when asked to do
>so. The program is looking for files of format epsonlq.*, it says. I am
>giving up on this and letting our friend use WORKS for DOS to type and print
>letters. (She pays us for our help in cookies of the non-software variety).

Ok. I will try it myself.

0. copy wd55_eng.exe to t:\word

1. running t:\word\wd55_eng.exe - unzipping

2. running t:\word\setup.exe
- menu option Set up hard disk
- Install a new version of Word in T:\Word55
- ...
- Install printer drivers
- Epson LQ 870
- Continue with setup
- ....
- Type fullname:

3. First error message: cannot find the file 867.TBL
(867 is non-standard DOS code page)
- skip file
- do not setup system files
4. Second error message: cannot find the file PRINT1\EPSONLQ5.*
- skip file
- setup successfully completed

5. Create directory t:\word\print1
and move all files *.pr$ to t:\word\print1

6. Start t:\word\setup.exe again
- menu option Set up hard disk
- Modify an existing version of Word in T:\Word55
- Install a printer driver
- Epson LQ 870
- Complete Setup and modify Word

Result: epsonlq5.prd is in t:\word55

BTW: makeprd.exe is the fantastic utility to edit printer drivers.

Christof Lange

Ceskobratrska cirkev evangelicka - Betlemska kaple na Zizkove
Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov