baslinux - Re: [BL] xterm and -fn; WORD for DOS

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] xterm and -fn; WORD for DOS
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 12:32:50 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 keesan AT cyberspace.org wrote:

> Do you also have to specify the bold font used? Steven's setup does not.
> I will try adding -fb10x20 and see if that helps. The links (that show up
> double) are in bold. Thanks. I sort of doubt that just changing 10x20 to
> 9x18 would fix anything. In the meantime linux8x16 does work. And I
> could even set it to show more lines than 25.

I always specify the bold font, yes. Truth be told, I never tried it
without so am not sure whether it's absolutely necessary. The syntax is
----------------------
-fb 10x20bold
----------------------
by the way. I suggested 9x18 because it seemed like you were saying that
a smaller font (than 10x20) seemed to resolve the issue. Perhaps I
misunderstood.

> I ran setup. Setup complained and would not install the printer drivers,
> said it could not find them. I was installing to floppy disk. Running
> the .exe creates 700K of *.pr$ files. WORD itself wants *.prd files.
> How would .pr$ normally be converted to *.prd? Simply renaming did not
> help. There is a PRD to TXT conversion program that did not help as it
> could not find any PRD files.
>
> I don't need to print WORD files but my friend does. Did MS deliberately
> cripple the program? I also note that it expected to find the drivers in
> \PRINT2\ but everything unpacked into a single directory and a few things
> overwrote other things.

I seem to recall having run into similar problems. But somehow, just by
rerunning the script, I think it worked itself out somehow. You'd have to
look into M$ documentation to find out how to convert/extract those files
ending in $. I recall seeing some M$ documentation on this at some point,
but don't recall much in the way of particulars. I think it was something
about how to selectively uncompress files from the Win CD or something.
I'll bet if you spent enough time rooting around their site, or maybe
searching the 'net, you'd find out how to do it. Or you could always take
the brute force approach and just keep running setup.exe until it works
(i.e., no error messages appear).

James