baslinux - [BL] latest flwriter

  • From: keesan AT iamjlamb.com
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] latest flwriter
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 14:09:09 -0500

>On 13 Dec 2003 at 19:04, Sindi Keesan wrote:
>> Would someone besides me test out this most recent version of flwriter and
>> suggest any desired improvements or report bug fixes please.
>
>I just got the [19]http://www.oksid.ch/xd640/flwriter_static.gz , and it
>works, but I haven't yet done any testing.
>
>Why is it so much bigger than the
>[20]http://www.basiclinux.com.ru/download/flwriter.gz, which I just got
>yesterday?

This is the static version, which means that you don't need to install
cxxlibs.tgz in order to use it. cxxlibs is over 1M and we only need one
file from it so this actually saves space to use the static version.

>[I am very very new to using any GUI in Linux]
>
>How do I get either of the flwriter programs to show up as something that
>can be run from the icewm desktop? (am I using the correct terminology?)

GO to the start menu (type Ctl-Esc or use the mouse). Go to Control
Panel, Edit Menu, and type in just below xterm the line
prog "Flwriter" - flwriter

This will start a program named flwriter. If the package unzipped to
flwriter_static you will need to change that file name or else make the
line read

prog "Flwriter" - flwriter_static

>(I did not use installpkg because I read that These are not Slackware
>packages ; so I just put the program in /usr/local/.bin )
>
>Is there an equivalent to the Windows 98 "Start -> Run" process?

Ctl-Esc or mouse in lower left for the start menu, select (with down arrow
and Enter, or with mouse) the name of the program you want to run.

>Thanks,
>
>Sheldon Isaac

You are very welcome. Sindi Keesan
Thanks for checking this out.

I found that the page break now works (Ctl-Esc) as does save to RTF, but
save and save as both give me the 'save as' dialog box. The latest
version does not have 'import RTF' which makes it hard to communicate with
WORD users. And it starts you off with serif font but when you import a
file that file is sans-serif, which was the default for the older version.

I have no idea how to use the latest four features in the toolbar - do you
know what they do? The only help offered is something online. Do I do
ppp-on and then try to use the online help?

I somehow managed to crash this program once but have not done it again.

Did you test with plain VGA? That was a problem with the earlier version,
it worked only with higher resolution X.

I have posted antiword34.tgz (which is probably not really a slackware
package and should be renamed to tar.gz and unpacked by putting it in /
and typing tar -zxvf antiword34.tar.gz) at

www.usol.com/~keesan/antiword34.tgz.

I compiled this myself (first program I ever compiled) and ran makepkg on
it, which said there were no symlinks so therefore no doinst.sh script was
being made and to make my own, and that it was renaming antiword34.tar.gz
to antiword34, which I renamed to the .tgz but which might be better
renamed back to .tar.gz. This version does WORD 2002. Please report any
bugs or omissions to the author. The files should end up in
/usr/local/man/man1/antiword.1.gz
/usr/local/doc/ (doc files)
/usr/local/bin/antiword and kantiword (don't know what this is)
/root/.antiword/*.txt (mapping files needed to display other fonts)

Type antiword filename.doc to display on the screen.
antiword filename.doc >filename.txt to save the file.

Will also produce postscript if so instructed.

WV is another WORD convertor, which will produce html. I think both of
them will also handle embedded images (in the ps or html output). The two
programs in my DOS versions both have their inadequacies so i may try to
compile WV next. Please let me know if the antiword package works.
Catdoc is another convertor with which I have less experience.

Is there any interest in my compiled but as yet unpackaged version of
photopc software for downloading from Epson or Olympus or Kodak digital
cameras? It is about 100K.

Sindi Keesan