baslinux - [BL] 1280 virtual resolution

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] 1280 virtual resolution
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 09:28:33 -0500 (EST)

I have fixed my problem with XF86Config where it was displaying at 1280
virtual resolution on a 640 actual resolution screen, by reading the
instructions in XF86config more carefully.

There is a section where you are asked whether to approve of the modes
listed. There are four lines which list all the available resolutions for
each color depth (8bpp, 16bpp, etc.). Instead of approving the default I
decided this time to change them and was informed that the default mode is
the first listed one that would work. For some reason they list the lower
resolutions first "640x480" "800x600" etc. To change the order you type
5, and you get more instructions and then type in in the identifying
number of each mode: 2 for 640x480 3 for 800x600 etc. The default order
is 12345. I typed (for 8 bit color depth) 432 so that the default
resolution would be 1024 with 8 bit color. If I want more color later I
can remove that line (presumably by not typing any numbers on it) and it
will choose something from the 16 bpp line, which I also set to 432. I
think fewer colors loads faster.

Hopefully I can change modes later by hand-editing XF86Config.

I then made sure to answer 'n' to 'do you want a virtual screen'.

Is there some way to use larger screen fonts? I have both 75 and 100 dpi
installed. The aging recipient of this computer would prefer not having
to wear glasses to read the 14" screen at 1024 resolution. When using
Windows we can choose 'extra large fonts'.