baslinux - [BL] 1280 virtual screen

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] 1280 virtual screen
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 08:59:04 -0500 (EST)

I installed XS3.tgz and ran XF86config. My S3 card has 2M RAM and will
display 1280 resolution. My 1993 Compaq monitor will display 1280 but I
cannot find it anywhere on the web or on the Monitors list so I chose the
lowest horizontal sync for 1280 monitors and also the lowest vertical
refresh rate. Can I try a higher vertical refresh rate without damaging
the monitor?

xvidtune does not work on my system

When I type startx I get a 1280 virtual screen of which I see only 1/4 at
a time (640 actual resolution). Opera still looks the same as it did with
the plain VGA16 (in the upper left quadrant). And now I get 8-bit color
(the best my card can do at this resolution). When I exit X I am told
1280 virtual resolution and 8-bit color.

I went back to the original XF86Config file but changed the color depth
from 4 to 24, and now have 640 actual and virtual resolution, which is not
what I want for running Opera.

What do I change to get the same actual as virtual resolution at 1024?