baslinux - [BL] From Sindi

  • From: "Sheldon Isaac" <sisaac AT netaxs.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] From Sindi
  • Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 19:42:51 -0500

He probably meant this for the list.

--------

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Sheldon Isaac wrote:

> Let's see which address works.

Both addresses oughtto work - keesan2 AT grex.org, keesan2 AT cyberspace.organd
even keesan AT grex.cyberspace.org.

> Date sent: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 07:39:47 +1300
> From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
> To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
> Subject: Re: [BL] no free PTYs and symlink deleted
> Send reply to: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
> <mailto:baslinux-request AT lists.ibiblio.org?subject=unsubscribe>
> <mailto:baslinux-request AT lists.ibiblio.org?subject=subscribe>
>
> [ Double-click this line for list subscription options ]

Pine does not let me double-click but I did go to the site and I signed
up
both onsite and by email.

> sindi keesan wrote:
> >
> > Regarding X and better resolution:
> > Just installing XS3 did not do it - I need to edit
> > XF86Config somehow and set some graphics driver as 'accel'.
>
> Execute 'xf86config'
> or install xset.tgz and execute 'XF86Setup'

I got the colors to 16 bit by adding a section to "Screen" but I think I
need to configure the monitor now to get a higher resolution. It is not
in the Monitors list in xdoc.tgz. A 1993 Compaq Model 461. We also have
a 1991 2E/ADI Microscan which does not work with this video card (S3) in
DOS or Windows at more than 800 resolution but goes to 1280 with a
Trident
card . Also not on the list. I tried using xvidtune to determine the
correct monitor settings: 'can't open display'. I think even to use
xf86config I would need to know these settings. I cannot find them on the
web. Frequencies, modelines.

I tried running xf86config and it messed up the config file and X no
longer works.I made some guesses and will put back the original file now
and try to get the accel section reconstructed so the colors at least
work
in 24 bit again.

We have SuSe 6 set up on another computer and it changes settings for us
automatically when we plug in a different monitor. I will eventually take
the monitor over there and get the settings that way unless you know of
some program I can use to get them with bl2.

X probeonly could not get any results.

> > Despite signing up three times now, I still am not getting
> > list mail. Steven, could you get me signed up?
>
> I put you on the list yesterday as: keesan2 AT grex.org
> I just checked the membership files and that address
> is there with all the other addresses. Perhaps something
> is wrong at your end?

I am getting mail sent directly to keesan2 AT cyberspace.org, such as this
mail. My mailbox is only 50% full. It has a 70K limit on each mail
whichis larger than the mail list 40K limit. But I don't even get copies
of mails I send to the list.

Today we got xpaint working and then imagemagick (which I got to work by
copying over one missing file from an uncompressed .tgz and making a
symlink to i instead of installing the whole package). Jim wants to edit
photos and 640 res will work but Opera is inconvenient at 640.

> Cheers,
> Steven

  • [BL] From Sindi, Sheldon Isaac, 12/01/2003