baslinux - [BL] X with S3

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] X with S3
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 20:23:14 -0500 (EST)

I ran xf86config and chose the lowest horizontal refresh rate for a
monitor that does 1280 resolution, and the lowest vertical refresh rate
and the correct video card (it was one of the choices luckily). I cannot
find the information for my monitor anywhere (1993 Compaq).

I did not change any settings manually.

X does not exactly refuse to work after this. I get a reduced-size area
of blue (I could probably restore full size using the monitor controls),
with no sign of icewm until I right click and that gives me a
menu. I can run Opera and Xpaint but they are still at 640. If I move
the mouse arrow downwards I eventually encounter the usual icewm bar at
page bottom. The Confirm logout window which is usually in mid-page is at
far lower right. In other words, I seem to be at 640 resolution in one
quarter of a 1280 virtual resolution screen.

Would it help to choose a higher vertical refresh rate? 1993 monitor. I
chose 60 Hz horizontal and 50-70 vertical.

The video card has 2M RAM and will display at 1280.

When I exit X I see the tag end of some long error message about it
running in only 8-bit colors and 'Warning: Unable to load any usable
fonts" (I noticed this only one time and then loaded the 100 dpi fonts)
and 'Virtual resolution set to 1280'. How can I obtain the whole
error message?

If I use the old configuration file and manual change it, when when I fill
in a Screen section for S3 with "accel" driver and 24 bit color and 1024
resolution I get icewm working properly at 640 resolution with more than
16 colors and no virtual screen.

At 1280 resolution this card does only 8-bit color. I would like to run it
at 1024 resolution. How do I change XF86Config so as not to have a
virtual screen but to see things at 1024?

I think other people have had similar problems.

Sindi Keesan

  • [BL] X with S3, sindi keesan, 12/01/2003