baslinux - Re: [BL] plip pooched... BL 2.1 to FreeBSD 5.1

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] plip pooched... BL 2.1 to FreeBSD 5.1
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 07:47:58 +1300

falacy wrote:

> ifconfig_lp0="inet 192.168.1.5 link0 192.168.1.9 netmask 0xff000000"
>
> It's the link0 that is the most important part, as it tells the BSD
> box to use a different protocol that is compatible with the linux
> version.
>
> I can ping, NFS mount my BSD box (I am able to change directoies
> remotely),

Sounds like you have got it working pretty well.

> but when I attempt to transfer any files my little BL 2.1 laptop
> spits out this timeout error,
>
> plip0: receive timeout(5,c0)
> nfs: server 192.168.1.5 not sesponding, still trying
> nfs: server 192.168.1.5 not sesponding, still trying
> nfs: task 26 can't get a request slot

This looks like some sort of syncronization problem between
the Linux and BSD machines. I sometimes get a similar error
when I do NFS between Linux and DOS (using the arp parameter
for ifconfig on the Linux machine is supposed to help).

> Now, it seems rather odd to me that it is able to comunicate
> nicely until a file transfer is to take place,

Simple operations (like cd, ls, mv) are less likely to be
affected by slight mismatches between the systems. Copying
files (particularly long files) is more likely to get tangled
up. I suggest you try copying some *very* short files and
see if that works.

> so it could likely be my BSD setup.

As you mentioned at the top of this message, you had to use
a special parameter on the BSD machine to get the connection
to work. Are you absolutely sure that is the right one to
use for linking to a Linux machine? I don't know anything
about BSD, but I do know that in Linux there are several
parameters for ifconfig that might be relevant.

I'm guessing that Linux and BSD might use different defaults for
networking. Linux-Linux links default to the same parameters.
BDS-BSD links default to the same parameters. But Linux-BSD
links might need extra parameters (perhaps at both ends).