baslinux - Re: [BL] Boot mgr question

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Boot mgr question
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 08:12:22 +1300

Sheldon Isaac wrote:

> I used a DOS program called Ranish Partition Manager
> Now when I boot there's a choice of 1) Windows FAT-32
> 2) Linux ext2fs [that's where BL2.1 is]
>
> If I choose 1) and get a DOS prompt, I can do BL's BOOT.BAT
> as usual. (Does DOS get chased away out of memory etc after
> Linux loads?)

Yes.

> But what could I do so as to choose to boot from another
> partition, for example the one where BL2.1 is installed

In order to boot the BL2 partition, you will need to put a
kernel loader (LILO) at the start of that partition. You
will also need to put a copy of your kernel (bzimage) into
that partition (usually in the /boot directory).

> I see the lilo howto gives lots of info, including stuff
> to put into a lilo.conf.

The following lilo.conf is enough for what you want:
-------------------
image=/boot/bzimage
label=BasicLinux
root=CURRENT
read-only
Then execute: lilo -v

> As I said, I haven't yet actually downloaded & installed lilo,
> and don't understand much of that info.

It is easier to boot directly into DOS and use a DOS menu to
(1) run loadlin.exe to boot Linux, or (2) continue in DOS.

> Would I edit /etc/inittab?

No. Starting Linux is the same, no matter which method you use
to boot the kernel. You boot the kernel (using loadlin or LILO
or something) and point the kernel at the root partition.