baslinux - [BL] Boot mgr question

  • From: "Sheldon Isaac" <sisaac AT netaxs.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Boot mgr question
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 12:57:29 -0400

I see in the list archives that lilo is reccommended if one wants to boot
directly into BL2.1, as compared with booting it from DOS.

I was just wondering how it could be done without Lilo.

I used a DOS program called Ranish Partition Manager
http://www.ranish.com/part/ on my new $55 computer.

Now when I boot there's a choice of 1) Windows FAT-32 2) Linux ext2fs
[that's where BL2.1 is] 3) Linux swap 4) Linux ext2fs

If I choose 1) and get a DOS prompt, I can do BL's BOOT.BAT as usual.
(Does DOS get chased away out of memory etc after Linux loads?)

But what could I do so as to choose to boot from another partition, for
example the one where BL2.1 is installed

I see the lilo howto gives lots of info, including stuff to put into a
lilo.conf. As I said, I haven't yet actually downloaded & installed lilo,
and don't understand much of that info.

Would there be some files I could put in my BL partition that would let it
boot? Would I edit /etc/inittab?

My current BOOT.BAT is
REM loadlin zimage kbd-reset root=/dev/ram rw initrd=baslinux.gz
REM loadlin bzimage vga=ask kbd-reset root=/dev/ram rw initrd=baslinux.gz
loadlin bzimage vga=ask root=/dev/hdb3 ro

Thanks a lot,

Sheldon Isaac