baslinux - Re: [BL] Install to HD, etc

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Install to HD, etc
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 17:42:14 +1200

James Miller wrote:

> Don't try Gnoppix on a machine with only 64MB RAM.
> It won't work. It's probably very much like Knoppix,
> requiring a minimum of 96MB RAM to boot into graphical
> mode.

Wow, I didn't know it was so resource-hungry.

> If you want to try out a graphical mode "live CD"
> Linux on that 64MB RAM machine, go for DamnSmallLinux
> (www.damnsmalllinux.org ).

64mb is better. Don't most of the P1 motherboards max out
at 64mb? (I don't mean the theoretical max, I mean the max
that can be efficiently utilized.)

> PS Steven: can I send you a copy of DamnSmallLinux?

I'd be interested in having a look. It's too big to
download on my 33.6 modem; and, even if I did manage
to download it, I don't have a CD burner.

> It's got a copy of "Links hacked" on it that could make a
> nice alternate BL2 browser, as well as a Dillo version that
> does frames and tabbed browsing!

Sounds interesting. Do you know what version of glibc it
uses? I'm finding that some binaries compiled on recent
libraries won't run on BL2/Slackware 7.1. It's not as bad
as the old libc5/glibc2 thing, but it's become an occasional
problem. I wish they'd stop changing the base libraries.
Sure, upgrade the binaries and add new features, but fiddling
with the libraries is a real pain.