baslinux - Re: [BL] BL and security?

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL and security?
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 09:55:41 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:
> > And, in general, what are your indications for security in BL
>
> It works fine as a client. Connect to the internet and browse
> non-root and you should be OK. Although, if you execute a
> trojan (javascript?) targeted at Linux, you might get a little
> damage. But that's pretty unlikely.
>
> Keep in mind that the stripped-down nature of BasicLinux makes
> it harder for a trojan to succeed. Even foundation Slackware
> scripts (eg. pcmcia) can fail because things are missing. A
> trojan targetting RedHat (the most popular Linux) is likely to
> fail when run on BasicLinux (unless the trojan is self-contained
> and relies on no other files being present).
>
> I browse (non-root) with BasicLinux and I've got no worries
> about security.

Thanks for the client/server clarification, Steven. Of course I do not
run any servers, much less any with BL loaded. So, it sounds like there
is not much reason for concern about any of the security warnings coming
out. I'm enough of a newbie that I hadn't thought of making a distinction
between clients and servers and their relative security risks. I hope I
can incorporate this into my thinking about Linux a little better now.

On an unrelated note: I visited Edmunds-enterprises' site yesterday and
noted that they, too, have Slack 7.1 CD's for sale. Don't recall the cost
off hand, but they were always a bit cheaper than Cheap Bytes and other
big CD sellers. Maybe you want to link to them from the BL2 page, Steven?

Thanks, James