baslinux - [BL] BL and security?

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL and security?
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 10:24:21 -0500 (CDT)

I see recently in the Linux news that some sorts of security holes have
been found in openssh. I have openssh on one of my BL machines: how
should I deal with the potential security risk here, Steven? I also have
an old version of Pine there (4.21) and a security concern has recently
come out about Pine versions < 4.56. Is running these applications only
as user (non-root) the answer to whatever security risks might be posed?
And, in general, what are your indications for security in BL, Steven?
Delilinux seems to come out with updated releases of many software
packages, as does, I think, Drinou Linux. Since these are based also on
Slack 7.1, should we maybe be looking to these sources for packages where
security concerns enter in?

Thanks, James