baslinux - Re: [BL] Problem installing lilo

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Problem installing lilo
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 09:39:00 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Gilles Molesini wrote:

> qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org a écrit :
>
> First, /hd/sbin is probably not in your path. Second, your
> lilo executable probably was compiled with libc5 (BL1) instead
> of glibc2 (BL2). To find out, cd to the lilo directory and do:
> --------
> ldd lilo
> --------
>
> If you wish to install lilo for BL2, you should use the lilo
> package from Slackware 7.1 (in the /slakware/a8). BTW, I do
> not recommend that newbies use lilo. The default boot loader
> (loadlin.exe) is less problematic.
>
> ------------------------
>
> I just want to boot directly with linux on  /dev/hda1. How can i do that ?

There are 2 possibilities here, Gilles, as I see it. 1) you might be able
to get the lilo you've already installed to work, if you find that it does
not have unmet dependencies (Steven is, I think, trying to find out if it
has unmet dependencies by asking you to cd to the dir where it's located
and run "ldd lilo." Did you try that?). If the lilo you've installed
will work (i.e., does not have unmet dependencies), then you'll at the
least need to move it: /hd/sbin is a really wierd place for it to be.
Maybe it should just be in /sbin (system binaries)? Steven could say,
probably. But don't go worrying about where it's located until you find
out if it will even work on your system (i.e., check its dependencies).
The second possibility seems to me the best: 2) install lilo from Slack
7.1 (it's in the dir Steven indicated - you can download it from the
'net). For this, you'd use installpkg or pkgtool. I'm guessing - but
this is only a guess - that it would involve pretty much the same steps
that you followed for the BL1 lilo version. You might also need to create
a /etc/lilo.conf file. If you do need to do that, you could likely find
some instructions for creating it somewhere on the web. A third, less
desireable possibility for booting your system, but one that may help you
in the interim, would be to make a bootable DOS floppy that has loadlin
and zimage on it. You could make an autoexec.bat on that floppy with (I
think) just the line
loadlin zimage root=/dev/hda1 ro
which would make the floppy boot straight into BL. A bit slower than
having lilo or loadlin on the HD doing it but, as I said, you could at
least boot into your system this way and start straightening out things
in preparation for a more permanent solution.

James