baslinux - Re: [BL] local networking

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] local networking
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 07:28:30 +1200

cce.zizkov AT volny.cz wrote:

> I have connected two machines with coax cable, one
> has ne2000 card the other one works with the wd driver.
> I tried to connect them under basiclinux 1.x, loaded
> packet drivers accordinng to the examples in netsetup
> file.

Were the insmod commands successful? (If the insmod
is successful, you get a message about eth0.)

> Then I ran ifconfig and the command 'route basicnet'

That should be 'route add basicnet'

> (what does that mean?).

insmod installs the driver for the NIC
ifconfig assigns an address to the interface
route gives the interface a route to the network

BL2 does not need the route command -- the 2.2 kernel
automatically routes the interface after the ifconfig.

> No ping, yet.

Could be hardware. Have you successfully used those cards,
cable and terminators with another operating system?

> What do I have to do further in order to make the connection work?

On both computers, execute "ifconfig" to see that eth0 exists
and has the correct address. On both computers, execute "route"
to see that each computer has a route to the other.