baslinux - Re: [BL] local networking

  • From: "Krzysztof A. Suchecki" <christopher.suchecki AT wp.pl>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] local networking
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 12:59:56 +0200

> I have connected two machines with coax cable, one has ne2000 card
> the other one works with the wd driver. I tried to connect them
> under basiclinux 1.x, loaded packet drivers accordinng to the
> examples in netsetup file. Then I ran ifconfig and the command
> 'route basicnet' (what does that mean?). No ping, yet.

> What do I have to do further in order to make the connection work?

I suppose you tried this:

1. on pc with ne2000

insmod 8390
insmod ne io=0x300 # enter your network card io address
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1
route add -net

2. on pc with wd

insmod 8390
insmod wd #maybe wd driver requires similar parameters as ne - I don't know
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2
route add -net

and
ping 192.168.1.2 from 192.168.1.1 doesn't work and vice versa?

I had already 2 such reports :( Both were solved. :)
Maybe it's time to update FAQ :)

If coax cable is ok (you used proper terminators, didn't you?),
than there may be either IRQ conflict or io address conflict.

So you should try to set another IRQ or IO for your network cards.

Are there any jumpers on your network card?
If not, maybe your card is software-controlled
(in most such progs work under old, good DOS). If yes,
switch off PnP features. And change IRQ or IO.

I can't tell you if pc with ne2000 has wrong settings or
pc with wd - you have to figured it yourself, because
such an answer can be given only after testing on live-system.

Chris

Załóż konto pocztowe - - czekają upominki i rejs katamaranem po Bałtyku
z kapitanem Romanem Paszke! - < http://profil.wp.pl/promocja.html >