baslinux - Re: [BL] Where is the install script

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: celise AT Prodigy.Net.mx, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Where is the install script
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 09:30:10 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, Ernesto Celis wrote:

> I have the new PC to install BL, but when run the install
> script it can't find the packages to install from the
> slackware CD. I found the problem is the directories in the
> CD wich are capital leters (/SLAKWARE/A2) and the script
> search /slakware/a2.
>
> I never before have this problem and I though changing the
> script to search the directories in capital leters this can
> be solved, but I can't find where is the script.

I don't know where the install script is. But here is something that may
help you with the installation - sort of a "kludge" that could make things
work. It would involve symlinking the directories on the CD to symlinks
with names in the right cases elsewhere in your directory structure. This
will really only be feasible if the files within the directories are in
the right case already - not sure why your computer is putting things in
upper case like this. Anyway, if you look within the directories and see
that the names of files inside them are also being changed to upper case,
then you should probably forget about this solution. The solution I'm
proposing to overcome the upper case problem for directories on the CD is
as follows. Create a mount point for the CD - say, under the /tmp dir
---------------------
mkdir /tmp/cd
---------------------
Next, mount the CD there. Then you'll create symlinks under the real /cd
dir that point to the dirs on the CD mounted at /tmp/cd . First, though,
you'll need to create a slakware dir under /cd. So, issue the command
---------------------------
mkdir /cd/slakware
--------------------------
cd into the /cd/slakware dir you just created and issue the command
----------------------------
ln -s /tmp/cd/SLAKWARE/A2 a2
-----------------------------
Do likewise with all the other dirs in which the install routine expects
to find the installation files. You should end up with a series of
symlinks under /cd/slakware that all point to directories on the real CD
mounted under /tmp/cd . The symlinks will be in the right cases,
but the dirs to which they point under /tmp/cd will continue to be upper
case, of course. Again, if the problem with names getting changed to
upper case extends to files *within* the dirs on the CD, then this
solution won't work.

James

PS You might want to wait for Steven's input on this. He may have a
simpler, more elegant or more effective solution.