baslinux - Re: [BL] Swapspace sharing with windows

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Swapspace sharing with windows
  • Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 07:24:45 +1200

Stefan Güls wrote:

> I had the idea of using the win386.swp file (which can't be
> used by windows when running BasicLinux for obvious reasons)
> as a swapfile for BL. First I configured windows to use a
> suitable minimum swapfile size, which ain't a bad idea anyway
> for fragmentation reasons. I added the partition containing
> the win386.swp to /etc/fstab
> /dev/hda[win-partition] /hd vfat rw,auto, ...

/dev/hda1 /hd vfat default 0 0

> and put the lines
> mkswap /hd/win386.swp
> swapon /hd/win386.swp

You should have a sync between the mkswap and swapon.
Also, you should probably use dd to zero /hd/win386.swp
before doing mkswap.

> swapon -a' didn't work... why?

AFAIK that only works for swap partitions, not swap files.

> Is there anybody seeing implicit dangers in doing so?

Not from the Linux side (assuming you zero the file before
mkswap). But I don't know what Windows will do when it finds
that Linux has over-written its swap file.

> I can tell that windows doesn't care what happened to
> its swapfile after BL ran

OK, then no problem.