baslinux - [BL] openMosix on BL2

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [BL] openMosix on BL2
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 17:08:04 +1200

Today I ran openMosix on two computers with BL2 (ramdisk).
This enabled the computers to share jobs. So, when I gave
the slower computer a big gzip to do, I could see it shift
that job to the faster computer.

It's not that difficult to set up. You simply replace the
BL2 kernel with the openMosix kernel (which is available
for download at basiclinux.com.ru), edit BOOT.BAT, list
the addresses of the computers you want in the cluster
(in /etc/hpc.map) and execute the start program. Of course,
you have to configure your network first (insmod, ifconfig)
in the usual way.

If people are really interested in this, I'll provide detailed
instructions. I suppose I could even do a special BL2 package
with openMosix built in.