baslinux - Re: [BL] Sound for BL2.1 - advice please

  • From: "Ron Clarke" <ariadne AT acepia.net.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Sound for BL2.1 - advice please
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 08:16:10 +1000

Hi Steven,

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:55:37 +1200, qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Ron Clarke wrote:

>> I now get an error message when I try to play a MIDI or MP3:
>> cannot open /dev/dsp!
>> I know /dev/dsp is there, I installed devs.tgz, so I am assuming
>> that I need to chmod /dev/dsp in some way

> What does it currently show when you do:
> --------------
> ls -l /dev/dsp
> --------------

I get: crw-rw-r-- 1 root sys 14, 3 Jul 18 1994 /dev/dsp

>> so it can be seen by sox.

> It appears to me that sox can see /dev/dsp. It also appears
> to me that your problem is not caused by permissions (because
> you didn't get the "Permission denied" error). The "cannot open"
> error is the kind of error you get when you try to access a device
> (listed in the /dev directory) that has no hardware attached to it.

>> What should I try now ?

> What have you done so far? Did you do:
> -------------------------
> insmod soundlow
> insmod soundcore
> insmod sound trace_init=1
> -------------------------

This gives me: insmod: invalid parameter trace_init

(I rem'd all the "insmod"s out of /etc/rc.d/rc.S so that I booted up
without
any sound modules loaded, or the isapnp configured)

> Did it say anything to indicate that your hardware was found?

Nope.

And cat /dev/sndstat gives -
==========
OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
Load type: Driver loaded as a module
Kernel: Linux BasicLinux 2.2.16 #22 Fri Jun 16 16:51:24 PDT 2000 i586
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:

Card config:

Audio devices:

Synth devices:

Midi devices:

Timers:
0: System clock

Mixers:
=============

But: isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf does get my Vibra16 card configured
with the correct IRQ, DMAs and IO addresses. As this is a Creative Labs
SB16 equivalent, I have been trying to load the sb.o (and dependancies)
drivers.

Is this not the correct driver for such a card ? I found nothing in
the modules that looked remotely like "vibra16", and I know this card
uses the SB16 DOS and Win3.1 software. Runs beautifully in DOS.

Regards,
Ron

Ron Clarke
AUSREG Consultancy http://homepages.valylink.net.au/~ausreg/index.html