baslinux - Re: [BL] Sound for BL2.1 - advice please

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Sound for BL2.1 - advice please
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:55:37 +1200

Ron Clarke wrote:

> I now get an error message when I try to play a MIDI or MP3:
> cannot open /dev/dsp!
> I know /dev/dsp is there, I installed devs.tgz, so I am assuming
> that I need to chmod /dev/dsp in some way

What does it currently show when you do:
--------------
ls -l /dev/dsp
--------------

> so it can be seen by sox.

It appears to me that sox can see /dev/dsp. It also appears
to me that your problem is not caused by permissions (because
you didn't get the "Permission denied" error). The "cannot open"
error is the kind of error you get when you try to access a device
(listed in the /dev directory) that has no hardware attached to it.

> What should I try now ?

What have you done so far? Did you do:
insmod soundlow
insmod soundcore
insmod sound trace_init=1
Did it say anything to indicate that your hardware was found?