baslinux - Re: [BL] Macromedia?

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Macromedia?
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 07:16:29 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

> Macromedia is not on Opera 6.03. I checked on the Opera site and to get
>Macromedia you have to upgrade to Opera 7.11... which may not run well on
>this computer(p133mhz, 40ram). What version of Galeon are you running and
>on what type of machine? Do you like Galeon? Was Macromedia difficult to
>install?
> I may have to rely on my better computer to get into the more
>"Multimedia Intense" sites.
> I like this version of Opera because I can get it to emulate MSIE 5.0
>(Microsoft internet explorer). This allows me to get my hotmail--> I
>know...I know, Bill is watching.

Galeon will be out of the question for you, I'm afraid. It is built on
Mozilla, but uses elements of the Gnome desktop. So, when all the real and
potential dependencies are met, it's a monstrosity of a thing: scads of
otherwise useless files (and no easy way of knowing which you really need and
which are just taking up HD space) cluttering up your HD. I just happened to
have Galeon on a much newer machine (1Ghz Celeron with 30GB of HD space), it
having been installed by default by the all-the-bells-and-whistles distro I
use on that machine. Macromedia was not at all difficult to install there:
it's actually quite small. I unpacked it using MC (MC is configured on that
machine to temporarily unpack *.tar.gz files so that you can copy their
contents to your desired destination) and copied it to its own subdir in my
home dir, IIRC. Mozilla and all the Mozilla-ish variants I have on this
machine were able to find and use it without further configuration. So,
getting and unpacking it on your computer should be a breeze. How you'd get
your version of Opera to recognize and use it is beyond me, though. Maybe
some version of Mozilla (the older Phoenix? Firebird? Epiphany?) could help
you view that Macromedia . . . uh, stuff? Or maybe you can sort of hack out
a way to get Opera to use Macromedia flash? Not sure what else to say here.

James