baslinux - Ted (was Re: [BL] TWIN)

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Ted (was Re: [BL] TWIN)
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 19:46:01 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Are you still using the Ted word processor? Now that I've
> settled on a browser and mail reader, I'm trying to decide
> on a word processor. For the last two days, I've been trying
> Ted, but it seems to be unfriendly in some respects. For
> example, I hate the default font and can't find a way to make
> a permanent change. It's a strange word processory, un-intuitive
> and ugly. I'm surprised so many people like it.

I'm using mostly the evil M$Word, actually. Not because I like it or want
to, but because it's the easiest way to fulfill the sorts of academic
requirements incumbent upon me. So I haven't used Ted much recently.
That said, I do still like it. As someone with alot more proficiency in
word processing and document creation than with programming and more
technical aspects of computing, I found Ted's interface to be very
intuitive. I had no problems figuring out how to do things and where to
find menus and things I needed. The fonts *are* a problem, I agree. One
reason I am sort of prevented from using it for my academic work is that I
must use foreign language fonts - ancient and modern. Ted, at this point,
just won't do them - at least not for me.

All that said, I am certainly open to alternatives. I'll try and take a
look at the other program you ref'd and see how it seems to me. From
your description, it sounds just as capable as Ted. I still can't
say much good about Abiword: I've tried it on both older and newer
systems, and was never very happy with the results

James