baslinux - [BL] TWIN - interesting non-X windowing system

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] TWIN - interesting non-X windowing system
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 18:11:13 -0500 (CDT)

I ran across a piece of software that seemed of potential interest to
the BL project. It is called "TWIN" and, as the subject line indicates,
it allows one to do windowing on a Linux console. In other words, as I
understand it, with this software you can have multiple command line
utils open in a single console. "Windows" in the console move to the
background or foreground, depending on whether they are active. "Windows"
can be resized, moved, etc. The whole thing sounds rather intriguing to
me, and I'll be looking into it further. For others interested in
learning about and/or using this software, the link is:
http://linuz.sns.it/~max/twin/ . It comes only as source but, if I use it
and like it, I may consider making a Slackware package out of it and
making it available to others. Enjoy.

James