baslinux - Re: [BL] TWIN - interesting non-X windowing system

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] TWIN - interesting non-X windowing system
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 11:48:51 +1200

James Miller wrote:

> I ran across a piece of software that seemed of potential
> interest to the BL project.

Are you still using the Ted word processor? Now that I've
settled on a browser and mail reader, I'm trying to decide
on a word processor. For the last two days, I've been trying
Ted, but it seems to be unfriendly in some respects. For
example, I hate the default font and can't find a way to make
a permanent change. It's a strange word processory, un-intuitive
and ugly. I'm surprised so many people like it.

I'm now having a look at pw (part of Siag Office). It's friendly,
intuitive and surprisingly capable for a 292kb executable. It's
also much prettier than Ted and has a nice zoom feature. It does
RTF, sub/super-scripts and headers/footnotes. Has anybody else
tried it? It's a slackware-type package that installs with
installpkg.

If pw doesn't work out, I might try AbiWord. I've got an old copy
of AbiWord, but it doesn't work on BL2 -- some problem with the
keyboard. I should probably download a more recent copy to see
if the problem is still there, but the download is so long (on my
33.6 dialup) that I'm going to be really annoyed if I find it has
the same problem.