baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: dosemu

  • From: cce.zizkov AT volny.cz
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: dosemu
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 16:43:48

On 26 Jun 03 at 12:38, jamtat AT mailsnare.net wrote:

>Reply to Sender: mailto:jamtat AT mailsnare.net
>Reply to List: mailto:baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
>
>On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, Day Brown wrote:
>
>Is it just sort of a toy, or can it really offer a DOS user
>something useful and useable on a Linux system?

I am able to run ver. 1.02 under slackware 3.5 in Xwindow. Almost any
DOS application works (except connection to internet, of course). On
that machine I even have Czech keyboard within Linux, within
Xwindows, within DOS and even within MS-Word vor DOS 6.0 together
with many, many function keys working. DOS programs access files
from the DOS partition and from the Linux partition. Although dosemu
requires more cpu and mem recources, networking through the linux
environment, multitasking, and integreating Linux internet
applications with DOS software will certainly increase effectivity.
What is most important: old DOS applications can survive in some kind
of reservation while the main system shifts to Linux. So all text and
data produced during the last 15 years will be always accessible.

Dosemu actually is not designed to run on an old PC that is too
slow to run Linux. But if you are working with a Linux or start to do
so, you will be able not only to keep your data from the DOS
environment, but even the applications to read them.

Unfortunately the latest dosemu versions (1.1.3 and 1.1.4) which
are told to offer further improvements are not provided as binaries.
Under Slack 3.5, I was not able to compile them. And until now I have
not been able to install anything newer than Slack 3.5... But
dosemu development is obviously still continuing.

Regards
Christof Lange

Ceskobratrska cirkev evangelicka - Betlemska kaple na Zizkove
Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov