baslinux - Re: [BL] Fwd: Can't shutdown or halt from X (BL2)

  • From: "James Miller" <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Fwd: Can't shutdown or halt from X (BL2)
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 18:45:43 +0000

>From: ald2#arrakis
>(Do you people ever stop to sleep?)

No. Perhaps you've noted that there are people from all over the globe
posting here? When I'm asleep (in the US midwest), it's probably about
mid-day where Steven lives (in NZ). Then, there are people in Europe who are
somewhere in between time-wise, who post here and read messages. So, on the
BL mailing list, someone's always awake :)

>Why can't a normal user do 'su' and then 'shutdown now' in an xterm?
>Distros like Suse and Mandrake allow this, I think.

I don't think BL2 contains the "su" command. It has to be added. I think
this is because, rather than the full bash, BL uses Busybox - a stripped down
version. Suse and Mandrake are meant to be full systems, with just about
everything anyone would need to use (and then some), in an initial install.
BL is sort of a "build it yourself" distro, that gives you a working core
that you can enhance to your preferences. Of course peoples' ideas about
what should constitute a working core may differ, but it looks the the BL
developer deems su to not be an essential element to the BL working core.
That's my take, anyway.

James