baslinux - Re: [BL] BasicLinux 2.1

  • From: <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BasicLinux 2.1
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 02:08:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 jamtat AT mailsnare.net wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 keesan2 AT cyberspace.org wrote:
> >
> > I have found one Trident video card that works in DOS but not in Linux
> > (everything is striped). Does BL2 not use the VESA mode? This is for
> > plain text, as I recall.

> Which Trident is it? I've actually had pretty good experience with
> Trident cards under Linux. I'm referring to mainly older cards - 512kb
> and 1MB video mem range. Switching from the vga16 (for Xwindows) to xsvga
> xserver made a *big* performance improvement.

I will dig it out and let you know (and maybe put it in the computer to
recreate the problem.) This is an ISA card with 1M RAM, probably 8900C.
Another 8900C works fine in the Linux computer. Come to think of it, the
first card is not VESA compatible at all, the second one is, so it cannot
be an issue of the VESA part working but the Trident part not working.

We just fixed the problem with the Cirrus Logic onboard video chip working
in DOS but causing hardware conflicts in Windows. We disabled the chip
and put in an Oak video card - works fine now. Which reinforces my idea
that the Cirrus part of the chip went bad.

Windows keeps putting back Com3 when we disable and delete it. We
disabled Com2 in BIOS. 'I hate Windows'.